Double takes. Shrieks. Disbelieving expressions. Friendship
bracelet. Waist hugs turned death grips. Gasps from students performing on
stage. My December 20th was filled with these!
I visited my school in Nampa when I was home for Christmas. I
grabbed a “Visitor” sticker and wrote, “mischievousness” as the reason for
visit. (Don’t act surprised…. Am I really ever up to anything else??) That
Tuesday was so nice to experience from the standpoint of a visitor. No classes
or behaviors to manage, no last minute party preparations. No giving students
the “eye” when they were misbehaving during the Christmas assembly.
Actually… I did give the eye. When you’re a teacher, you
just can’t always help it.
I ate lunch with my teammates and it was just like old
times. Random. Perfect. I have to say that these people are top notch teachers
and I have missed collaborating with them with all my heart.
I ended up staying at the school for 5 and a half hours.
Long past when all the children went home. There was so much to talk about.
Teaching children in Indonesia is so much different from teaching children in
America, and it’s almost impossible to find the words to express what it’s like
here. I became grateful all over again for the educational foundation I received
at this school, their interest in what I’m doing, and their support and belief
in me as I am overseas. It’s the kind of support that is almost overwhelming. In a good way.
Those shining faces (kids and adults) were so refreshing and
exciting to see. At a point in my life when I’ve never been so thoroughly sure
of my calling to teach, it was special to see students who have found their way
into my heart.
The truth is: I love this school. If God brings me back
there, I wouldn’t mind in the least.
No comments:
Post a Comment