1 Peter 1:8-9

"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Uh... yes, I speak English.


Some moments in class recently (These are from students between age 4 and 10th grade):

  • Amn't isn't a contraction.
  • Even though to their little ears, "widow" and "weirdo" sound alike, they are not.
  • When you say, “I am so very boring,” instead of “I am so very bored,” it doesn’t mean the same thing. If I laugh when you say the wrong one, I’m so very apologizing.
  • Reading stories about people who are living in oppressive and abusive countries should make you feel upset/sad/angry/determined/something other than indifference. 
  • It’s important to identify racism and call it what it is. And then move to change.
  • “Miss Jamie, you speak English??” “Why yes, (student), I do.”  This is 7 months after being his teacher. SEVEN MONTHS. What language he was trying to understand when I was teaching him, I have no idea.
  • For a short essay response I was amused to read that one student’s life inspiration is Justin Bieber.  I was saddened/disturbed when another student refused to answer the same question because she has no inspiration.
  • “Miss Jamie, you’re a bule??” (a white person) “Yup!” “AWESOOOOOOME!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment